A marketing plan is a document that outlines the specific actions you will take to promote and grow your business.
It helps you identify our target audience, set marketing goals, and develop strategies and tactics to reach those goals.
What do we need to include in our marketing plan?
There are a few key components that should be included in any marketing plan.
The first is a description of our target audience. This is important because we need to know who we are marketing to in order to effectively reach them.
Next, we need to set marketing goals. These should be specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound (SMART) goals that will help us track our progress and ensure we are on the right track.
You need to consider what your marketing goals are, for example:
- Increase brand awareness: Getting more people to recognise and remember your brand.
- Generate leads: Generating interest in your product or service and getting potential customers to provide their contact information so you can follow up with them.
- Increase sales: Increasing the number of products or services you sell.
- Improve customer retention: This goal is focused on keeping existing customers coming back to your business.
- Increase website traffic: Getting more people to visit your website.
- Increase social media followers: This goal is focused on increasing the number of people who follow your business on social media platforms.
- Increase email subscribers: Getting more people to sign up for your email list.
- Increase customer loyalty: Creating a strong emotional connection with your customers and encouraging them to continue doing business with you.
We also need to develop strategies and tactics to reach our marketing goals. These can include things like social media marketing, email marketing, content marketing, and more.
Finally, we need to create a budget and allocate resources to our marketing efforts. This will help us ensure that we have the resources we need to effectively implement our marketing plan.
How do we develop a marketing plan?
There are a few steps we can follow to develop a marketing plan. The first is to conduct market research to gather information about our target audience and the competitive landscape. This will help us better understand our customers and how to effectively reach them.
Next, we need to set marketing goals and develop strategies and tactics to reach those goals. This will require some brainstorming and creative thinking to come up with ideas that will be effective at reaching our target audience.
Once we have a solid plan in place, we can create a budget and allocate resources to our marketing efforts. This will help us ensure that we have the resources we need to implement our marketing plan and achieve our marketing goals.
Finally, we need to track our progress and adjust our marketing plan as needed. This might involve testing different strategies or tactics to see what works best, or it might involve adjusting our budget based on the results we see.
Popular marketing tools for small business
- Monday.com — Highly effective teams choose monday.com to manage their work.
- Mailchimp — Mailchimp helps small businesses do big things, with the right tools and guidance every step of the way.
- PipeDrive — Pipedrive is the easy-to-use, #1 user-rated CRM tool. Get more qualified leads and grow your business.
- Restream — Multistream & reach your audience, wherever they are.
- Antavo — Antavo is a loyalty program solution for businesses that helps them to create and manage loyalty programs for their customers.
- Sendinblue — Take your digital marketing to the next level.
- Missinglettr — Missinglettr helps businesses automate their social media marketing. It creates a year’s worth of content from one blog post, and schedules it to post on social media for maximum reach.
- Upflowy — Upflowy is a drag and drop tool to build and optimize web experiences.
- Salesforce — Salesforce is a cloud-based customer relationship management (CRM) platform that helps businesses of all sizes manage their customer relationships.
- Kissmetrics — Kissmetrics is a powerful analytics and marketing platform that helps businesses track, analyse, and optimise their customer journey.
- Canva — Canva is an online design platform that makes it easy to create stunning visuals for any purpose.
- Udemy — Udemy is an online learning and teaching marketplace with over 213,000 courses and 57 million students. Learn programming, marketing, data science and more.
- Webflow — Build your site for free and take as long as you need. Just add a site plan for more pages, and a custom domain when you’re ready for the world.
- SharpSpring —
SharpSpring is a marketing automation platform that helps businesses increase leads, conversions, and ROI. It offers features like email marketing, lead scoring, and website tracking to help businesses reach their goals.
- Unbounce — Grow your relevance, leads, and sales with Unbounce. Use Unbounce to easily create and optimize landing pages for your small business and boost conversions with AI insights.
- OrderCup — OrderCup is an all-in-one ecommerce platform that helps small businesses manage orders, shipping, payments, and more. It offers features like automated order processing, shipping label printing, and integrated payments. It’s easy to use and helps businesses save time and money.
- LeadFormix — LeadFormix is a marketing automation platform that helps businesses generate leads, track customer engagement, and measure ROI. It offers features such as lead scoring, email marketing, web analytics, and more.
- Pastel — Review and comment on websites live. One click to share with clients and teammates.
- Brand24 — Media monitoring made easy – get instant access to brand mentions across social, news, blogs, videos, forums, podcasts, reviews and more.
- Paperflite — The smartest way to create custom microsites for your sales content and track results
- HubSpot — HubSpot’s free CRM powers your customer support, sales, and marketing with easy-to-use features like live chat, meeting scheduling, and email tracking.
- Later — Later is a social media scheduling tool that helps you plan, organize, and optimize your posts. It allows you to easily schedule posts, analyze performance, and collaborate with team members.
- AB Tasty — Revolutionize brand and product experiences with AB Tasty: AI-powered experimentation & personalization, feature management and product optimization.
- Lead411 — Lead411 is the Top B2B Lead Generation Sales Intelligence Data Platform for prospecting, contact enrichment, Bombora intent and list building.
- Moqups — Make wireframes, mockups, diagrams, charts, and prototypes within one creative context.
- Sellfy — Effortlessly create a beautiful store that stands out and represents your brand in a unique way.
- Printify — Printify is an online platform that allows users to create and sell custom printed products.
- Moo.com — MOO Business Cards are the perfect way to make a great first impression. Choose from hundreds of designs, add your own text and images, and get a professional-looking card in minutes. Get creative and stand out from the crowd!
- LandingFolio — Landingfolio is a platform that helps you create beautiful, high-converting landing pages in minutes. It offers a drag-and-drop editor, customizable templates, and powerful analytics to help you get the most out of your campaigns.
- Nimble — A G2 Crowd Market Leader, Nimble helps you build relationships everywhere you engage — from your inbox to across the web. Try it free – no credit card required.